21 September 2010

Major structural feature removal. 22-08-10

I managed to get some help from my dad this weekend to remove the Rollbar, I really dont like it and frankly as I'm going to restore it to a coupe it is simply too high to accommodate.
Once the main safety harness bolts were removed, the main holding bolts for the roll bar could be removed. We also set about removing all the poppers from what would have been the rear window surround where the improvised permanent canopy was placed. I was quite worried at this point as the two rear most bolts connected to the chassis rail under the parcel shelf were un-done and a steady stream of water  ran out onto the rear tyres I'm really nervous now about what i'm going to find in that chassis rail when the Body comes off! The rest of the chassis is pretty immaculate.

Harness bolts on parcel shelf, and remainder of roll bar bolts being removed note the poppers around the rear of the car the circular holes are where speakers would normally be mounted within the wire in the centre would normally be connected to the centre interior light (This car didnt have one fitted) but I will fit a unit when I acquire the parts


Roll bar out, dad removes the poppers along the edge of the bodywork.


Next to make future work more straightforward, we disconnected the headlamps and indicators and removed the Bonnet it is clear the plywood bracket built into the end of the bonnet (where the hinges meet) has been damaged or rotted and would need to be chopped out and replaced I will include a photo of this once work starts here depending on how I wish to proceed with the bodywork. I may repair this shell extensively or for the time being, acquire another shell I know of.

Front end now visible with the bonnet removed.

As the bonnet has now been removed, I can remove the light fitting (also like gold dust to get hold of) and get them refurbed.
I have found out that the Carburettor here is an earlier 40 DFAV unit which I read on various sources is good to change for a later DGAS/DCNF setup one to ponder I think.
Also clear that the front Chassis rail still has old bits welded to it that may have held other things and does look untidy so may need to cut this section out and replace with a tidy new section.
I have packed the interior off to store elsewhere in a secure environment to stop damage from pests/elements etc.



As you can see, both sides look in fairly good condition just a strip down and shotblast re-coating of these bits will suffice with brand new springs and shocks to be fitted as these are leaky and a tad bouncy to say the least!

 Looking at the very front end, this arrangement is odd to me as most V6's I have seen have the rad mounted within the square engine bay section (Me being somewhat of a minimalist) I will probably go back to this arrangement (It seems to work) and weld brackets onto the front rail facing rearward toward the engine. see an example below....




That's all for this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment