22 September 2010

18-09-2010

I felt like I went at the car like a bull in a china shop today!!! started to strip loads more components, many thanks to my step dad who was able to assist me in removing the drivers door and pointed out where the retaining bolts for the window motors were! still hampered by three bolts along the top of the passenger door which for some strange reason, although covered by a panel and being inside the car have rusted together!! making it difficult to remove! I managed to remove the boot lid carefully by myself. I cant get the hinge off at the moment as this is rivetted in i'll leave that until I have some assistance (someone who knows what they are doing! basically!)


Boot Hinge, looks a tad rusty on the rear bulkhead rivets look in bad shape too.
I look now at the Doors and have taken a series of photos that will help me in putting the motors back together. On this car the electrics and door retaining straps (stops the door swing back on the front wing of the car) all run into the cabin and through the same holes, its been said these can break and so a good modification is to run the electrical cabling through a hose in the door then going into the bodywork to the dashboard switches.
Showing the cabling run to the door, door rubbers also visible.
This is actually taken after the motor was pulled away but clearly shows where the electrical run goes to.
Motor in situ before I removed it.
The bolts and mounting plate for the door assembly, (connects to the hinge).
The dor bolts go through this section here (Im holding the door up at this point!)
The Chrome Window frame removed from the door, Note: the teo holes in one of the vertical bars where later style mirrors were placed. These frames will  need refurbing as (they are rare first and foremost) and the tarnishing and speckling of the finsh has already started to set in. The mirror holes can be filled and re chromed im told.
The door minus all internal features, you can see the two black taped over holes that would have contained the original mirror mountings I will probably use either a torpedo mirror or a stick mounted mirror (original Mini type parts)
With these parts of the body removed I have moved to the front of the car where I have started removing more parts. the front fibreglass wheel arch/covers

Removing the internal wheel arch (Pedal cylinder box caused some problems here) as I couldn't move this due to the outside rivets being totally obliterated by the fluids used previously the rivet heads literally 'rubbed off' and turned to powder! 
More of the engine bay visible, starting to look more sparse here now!
Fuel pump, (mine was attached to the passenger side wheel arch cover I have re-attached the hlding bolts to it so that these dont go missing! This will probably be located in the boot when the car is put back together.
Another overview of the engine area.
Showing the door removed
At this point I packed up, satisfied I had acheived a fair whack this weekend more next weekend.

1 comment: