29 October 2011

Weekend 28 - 29 Aug 2011

Monday 29th August.
I continued to dismantle the remaining attachments to the bodywork so that I can have a completely disassembled car by the end of the year.
The previous day I had spent removing the rear suspension and brake assemblies. My dad had been available to help with this so we removed quite a lot of items.

Coil springs disconnected from the Rear Axle.
Removal of rear struts and bolts connecting axle to brake pipes.

I started the rear by undoing all the main bolts that held the struts, te rear coil springs etc together to get the axle free, I removed the half shafts from either end of the rear axle, once the drums had been removed.

Eventually we were able to take out the axle from the side of the car that had the most clearance once all the assemblies had been removed.
Axle removed, brake assemblies in place to the centre bottom of the image
The 'Removed axle' in need of some 'Refurbishment'
Once the rear axle and suspension etc were removed I went to the front of the car to start removing the drums and brake assemblies there also.

Full chassis shot with rear axle and drums removed.



The first job was to remove the track rod ends from the hub assembly, It is important at this point to ensure that when turning the track rod ends off that the turns are counted as this will assist resetting the geometry of the front end when re-assembling the car. mine were r18 and a half turns on the drivers side and 20 turns on the passenger side. ( I think!)

Once these were removed, I set about taking the hubs off the wishbones.

Track rod ends disassembled from the hub and the roll bar.
Removal of the Brake Calipers from the Hubs.
To be able to remove the hubs entirely from the mountings, there is capping on each of the front wheels, behind which a strip of 'Hairpin' clipping is passed through a hole to hold the bearings in place. this is heavily greased and has to be pulled out with a pair of pliers as the photos below show.

If you remove this, do not lose that pin!! its easily done!




Loosening the  wishbones around to the top and bottom of the shocks and springs.

I had removed the bearing and hubs at this point, so I was ready to start taking the wish bones off the front also, this would allow for removal of the leaky shocks I had.

Loosening the bolts for the Shocks.
 I must admit  I had some difficulty removing the bottom suspension strut, as the bolt was well rusted! using a combination of socket set and the break bar, I was able to get these off.

Undoing the base the front shocks.
Front end minus the wishbones and all hubs.
With all the front end now removed, (the roll bar at the front wouldnt come out so I had to leave this on until next time). I had quite a collection of parts that I could send away  to be treated and re powdercoated.

All the front and rear end parts ready for powder coating fuel tank is in the back ground.

same shot as earlier after steering removal.
That was about all I had time for that day. So the next post I should be updating will be the removal of the engine and gear box and finally calling completion on the strip down.

No comments:

Post a Comment